Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Rocks and Art

I'd be super happy every day if the theme of my life could be Rocks and Art.  Today was a rock climbing day at the Lake with Katie as my guide up and down the talus.  I've never really "loved" the talus fields, but I love the rock so much that I'd do anything (including topple over face first) to get to see and climb boulders!  Here's what we did today.







West bluff talus field after hanging around on Mixed Emotion which was a fun v4, especially the beginning moves.  After that it was scary!


















Fruit area!  I finally got to see this cool boulder.   Overgrown with plants 2-3 feet high, and kind of buggy so it'll be one to do in the fall.







Tricky problem that Katie makes look good.  


What climbing looks like when Katie and Vera settle in :)

An even more perfect combination is being with my favorite people while getting to do some things we all value together.  Misa and John-Pio declared the past few days "Museum Week" so we started it with a visit to the Chazen Art Museum.  The last time I was there was with my students to look at the African beading exhibit, but supervising and teaching are so distracting that it's never restful to look at art so I was thankful we got to go back and that the kids were psyched to go.  They brought their sketch books and we met some friends which made the experience even more interesting for them.  My favorite exhibit was one that featured Buddhas but the best part of the museum since its renovation, is the beautiful lighting that streams into various rooms.

Yesterday we went to the Milwaukee Art Museum.  Since I first learned of the exhibit, "30 Americans," I've been eager to go and now I can't wait to return.  Kids 12 and under are free, and the greatest perk is that educators get in free too.  Here's what we did . . .

Gazed into Lake Michigan - that's two of the Great Lakes in two weeks! 

 Admired the wings of the Milwaukee Art Museum move into position. 

Celebrated sibling time together. 

Sketched a piece from the 30 Americans exhibit, which is described on the Milwaukee Art Museum's website as this:  30 Americans is a dynamic exploration of contemporary American art. Paintings, sculptures, installations, photographs, video, and more made by African American artists since 1970 raise questions of what it means to be a contemporary artist and an African American today. Whether addressing issues of race, gender, sexuality, politics, or history—or seemingly remaining silent about them—these works offer powerful interpretations of cultural identity and artistic legacy.

Moved onto the rest of the museum where I caught John-Pio analyzing this! 

Interacted with the lively animation exhibit that featured some of Disney and Pixar's creations, and the historical references for movies like Rapunzel, Beauty and the Beast, and Alladin.  That's Emma in action . . . 

Made a vegetable head, who was actually a magical companion, based on the movie Despereaux.  

And drew pictures . . .



The combination of rocks and art is a perfect theme for the week.  When we got back, the kids went swimming while I went to see The Heat with Kate.  Y'all should go see it - hilarious and cathartic with all the m'f bombs and crazy antics and language.

No comments:

Post a Comment