Sunday, February 5, 2012

Conserve School



One burning question Emma has shared with some of us for the past few years was, "How can I find the change that I need, in order to be myself?" Such a thoughtful question, and not an unusual one for an inquiring soul like Emma. After almost a year and a half of anticipation, Emma is in a place surrounded by others her age, with seemingly like-minds. Sixty students attending the Conserve School in Land 'o Lakes, Wisconsin, will spend the next 4-1/2 months together trying to make sense of the world, to try to preserve something so beautiful, to ask tough questions, and push the boundaries of their own comfort zones.

Inspiring.

If there was one thing that stood out to me, it was Emma's transparent happiness. Falling in love with the campus was one thing. Being immersed in what has always seemed to be an "Emma thing" - nature, woods, science, and seasons - and I'd say she is really in her element.

We left Madison Saturday morning, arriving with plenty of time to go through the registration process, help her move into her room, and mingle with others. I'm not going to understate the emotions I felt driving onto the campus, so honored to be a part of Emma's life, and witness the lay of the land before her.


After taking care of the little things, and saying our goodbyes, I felt like I was also saying goodbye to one version of Emma. Truthfully, she herself will tell you that this experience is meant to bring on a new and different kind of Emma, and I have no doubts that she will successfully uncover parts of herself in her young journey.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Emma with us, and for sharing her story with others through your blog. I look forward to comparing notes about her experience at Conserve School during family weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy and sad to see these wonderful children we are raising go out into an amazing world! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I am moved by, is the spirit of community. I see it as something intentional at Conserve, as well as something that naturally forms whenever it involves kids pursuing their passion. And not only that, but the feeling from everyone who knows Emma or us, realizes that they have a stake in her path, and are interested and excited for her, because of her enthusiasm. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete