Sunday, January 15, 2012

More Than a Federal Holiday



Since I'm in San Diego this weekend, my nephew, Chris has been in charge of Misa and John-Pio in Madison. He has been dutifully checking off the various things I left on the weekend itinerary, and right now, he is making our annual birthday cake to honor Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. Chris said that it was the first thing the kids requested that they do together when they woke up this morning.

Thanks to my ever-so-resourceful and thoughtful teaching partners, Ms. Jorgensen and Ms. Matson, I had my own itinerary on Friday with our students. Both were absent so I flew solo that day, challenged to present and discuss the following poem, music video, and naturally, Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech. In the same way, Misa and John-Pio will also benefit from these selections today, too. The shared material here is a firm reminder to make this federal holiday a meaningful one.

A Dream Deferred
by Langston Hughes
Langston Hughes homepage

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

No comments:

Post a Comment