Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Uprooting Wildness

I've been thinking about activism lately, reminiscing on where I came from, how I formed my thinking and beliefs, and the strength I have to influence others - particularly, my own children. Reading this interview between Terry Tempest Williams and Tim DeChristopher, brought me back to wildness and wilderness. It's inspiring to hear them reveal the things that formed them. If you don't know either as an author and activist, I'd recommend putting them on your list of people to get to know.

I hadn't known anything about Tim DeChristopher until the last 2 years. Terry Tempest Williams has been a friend of wilderness for most of her life. For a good part of my life, I immersed myself in the power of wilderness, spending a significant time in my early 20's and 30's as an activist for Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, and Utah Wilderness Coalition. I've read just about every book, poem, essay, and blog post written by her. From her power and the many people who led the way, I received the gift of wildness, navigating my way through the social and political process to help save wild lands in Utah.

I watched this short film multiple times, and by the end of my fourth viewing of it tonight, I was swaying to the beat of wild lands and what it takes to preserve our beautiful earth.

Must be time to unwind.

To uproot.

To influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment